Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sour Cream & Onion Kale Crack


Okay so we've been hearing about kale chips and yes we've been wanting to try them but it wasn't until Bredette Dyer sent a recipe w/ crack in the title that we sat up and took notice.

I don't know what I expected - wait, yes I do - I expected them to taste like dehydrated kale with some flavoring that tastes NOTHING like sour cream and onion. Up until the moment I popped one in my mouth - I was feeling that the whole world was salad and the next 84 days were just going to be this long, torturous nightmare of denying myself my favorite snacks. But these things are amazing! Like take to a party good. They are crazy easy to make, took four hours to dehydrate and seriously they're light and crispy like they've been fried. NO FOR REALS! They have opened my eyes to a whole new wonderful raw world and I'm so relieved because chips/salt are usually what derails my ride on the raw train but now with my kale crack - I KNOW I CAN DO THIS!

Bredette Dyer 26 July at 21:08
Sour Cream and Onion:
Kefir
Green Onion 1
Garlic as many as you like if you're into garlic
Cashew or sesame seeds soaked (I prefer cashews)
Salt
Celery Salt
Nutritional Yeast
Water
ACV just a splash (i had to look this up... apple cider vinegar)

So, I kinda don't measure my stuff, I just throw in. Although, I do soak the cashews for a while and use about a cup of them soaked depending on how much I make. about a table spoon or two of kefir? I'm so bad at actual recipe measurements. A dash of celery salt, maybe a table spoon or more of nut. yeast.. etc.. If it smells good, yay! If you make 'em, lemme know how they turn out! :)

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're finding something to nurse your salty snack craving....will give these a try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    I meant to pass this on to you both. It is totally raw and I got the recipe from my raw eating friend here in Dallas. I've tasted it before, but haven't actually made it myself. It was AWESOME! I'm going to try to make it this week. Maybe you could treat yourself with something like this at the end of your first successful week?

    Chocomole Pie

    Food process 2 cups walnuts (or whatever nut you want) 10 dates and a dash of salt until crumbly then press into pie plate
    (you can also use date rolls from the bulk section of Whole Foods and press those into a pie plate instead)

    3-4 avocados
    4 dark chocolate bars 4 oz size OR dark chocolate chips/morsels
    agave to taste

    Blend avocados, melt chocolate add to avocados and sweeten to taste

    To make a whipped topping, soak 2 cups RAW cashews overnite, then blend with one cup berries and 1/4 cup agave
    Add up to 1/4 cup water

    Spoon avocado/chocolate mixture into date "pie crust" then top with whipped cashew/berry/agave topping.

    Let me know if you make it!

    Smiles,

    Valiz

    ReplyDelete